About DGA Forestry
DGA Forestry LLP (formerly David Goss & Associates) is one of Scotland’s longest established independent forestry consultants. David Goss established the firm in 1972 to provide an independent management and consultancy service to forest owners, free from the conflict of interest often found in the larger contracting based organisations. We offer personal attention to a wide range of clients from private individuals, farmers and estate owners, to multi-national companies and government agencies.
The company is now managed by Sandy Anderson, who took over as senior partner in 2002 following David Goss’s retirement. The company operates out of its office in Dumfries which gives excellent access to the woodlands under management.
From three original clients, our management portfolio now consists of over 80 retained clients, with approximately 20,000 hectares of woodland under management. Our clients’ woodlands are principally located in south, central and west Scotland, but management extends into northern England, the Scottish Highlands and Wales.
In addition to ongoing management, we undertake project and consultancy work for a variety of individuals and organisations in both the private and public sectors covering a wide range of topics.
The firm’s management philosophy is based on four key principles, which underpin our work for every client, whether large or small:
- Independent Advice: is at the heart of our business philosophy and we offer our clients a complete freedom of choice at all stages in the management or development of their woodlands or project.
- Personal Attention: as a small professional firm we do not suffer from the constant staff changes and discontinuity of management often found in larger firms, allowing a sustainable working relationship to be built up with our clients. The partners of the firm oversees the management of all woodlands and projects. This offers continuity of management which is crucial in a long term investment such as forestry.
- A Flexible Service: we do not manage our client’s woodlands according to pre-determined company policies; instead, we adapt the management to suit the particular client’s objectives and the specific requirements of the individual woodlands. Our input can be as small or large as the client requires and where necessary we will closely with the client’s other managers and advisors.
- Professional Services: we are a specialist forestry management and consultancy service. All our foresters are professionally qualified and are either members of the Institute of Chartered Foresters or working towards membership. Professional qualifications are backed up by wide experiences and knowledge of trees and woodland.
- Cost Effective Management: as an independent professional firm we do not have any shareholders, large offices or staff far removed from the woodlands. We are therefore able to focus on our clients and offer a cost-effective service based on their needs rather than those of the company.
There are no hidden management or supervision charges. DGA Forestry does not charge any commission on the supervision of contracts. All contractors’ invoices are passed directly to the client for payment with no surcharge or commission; the client therefore clearly sees the cost of the various operations and the cost of management.
The company was one of the first private forestry companies in the UK to operate its own woodland certification scheme to Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)® and UK Woodland Assurance Standard criteria in 1999.Contact DGA Forestry